Saturday 28 March 2015

The Panther

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while... :( The usual multitude of reasons: work, work and more work! Anyways, I won in my school poetry competition again (3rd year counting!) and I got to perform my piece in front of a live audience. It was also put into a school publication; however due to unfortunate circumstances *ahem*, the last three stanzas got cut midway. It's really embarrassing and killed all my enthusiasm but sometimes things just happen. So here it is published (in its full glory?) Hope you enjoy!

The Panther

she prowls
the edge of darkness
latent lethal and lithe
against the starless
night sky
foliage quivering
whence she came
guardian of gloom
a dominant queen
of melanistic doom
soft padding of step
crispy leaves beneath her
claws – still sheathed
slinking

across lone mountain.
the trees cower in dread
before the blessed curse
fear and awe unsaid
graceful prances
up the slope until she reaches a

puddle.

Stride interrupted,
she stares at her
shallow reflection:

phosphorescent pupils
gazing idly
in return.

Irises lanced with greed.
Lashes of lust.
Whiskers shivering.
No one to trust.

The ivory moon rises,
its cold glowing spectre
casting ghostly shadows
onto her flushed cheeks.

Gossamer threads of light
entrap her inside –
a cage of night
Nowhere to hide.

I spring forwards.
The glass shatters:

Out of peripheral vision –
the mirror reduced to debris:

Fragments of affection
for the beast inside me.



Yours truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment